highchair before & after

10:29 AM


I got this highchair when Max was born 6 years ago. I love it because it is sturdy, simple and doesn't have the cheesiness that many high chairs do with the ruffles and animal print. But it is definitely dated, so I thought why not reupholster it (in a sense)?

I had this fabric handy, I wasn't going to use it for any other projects and it's pretty subdued, just black and white. I cut 2 rectangles, one small one for the seat and one large one for the back. Nothing exact, just enough to wrap around underneath the bottom and back.

I then cut small slits in the fabric so that it would wrap around where the bolts were. When I brought it around the bottom I got a large needle and some quilting thread. I gathered the corners together and sewed them so they were tight and secure. I didn't care that it doesn't look too pretty underneath.

I then bought a yard of clear vinyl overlay for about $2. I did the same thing I did with the fabric but instead of securing it with thread I used a staple gun.

Here is the finished product. It looks great in our dining room and blends in instead of sticking out like a sore thumb. I had to turn the fabric on the back of the chair to make it fit, but I figure I won't notice that, especially when it is covered with spaghetti. :)

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Looks so good- love that fabric!

    With all of the simple discrete high chairs available, I can't believe anyone chooses the giant monstrosities that dominate the dining area rather than blending in?! Have you seen the IKEA chair? So darling!

    http://static.which.net/media/images/in-content/ikea_high_chair-134066.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have, I love that one! I came so close to getting it. I thought I'd try this first and if it didn't work out I was going to get the Ikea one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! You are so smart to have added the clear fabric over the cute fabric! I never would have thought of that. Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya- I almost bought one and I didn't even have a baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is Amazing!! LOVE it!! never would have thought to recover a highchair!

    ReplyDelete