eclectic

7:03 AM

I grew up in a home where we never had matching furniture, most pieces had a story behind them and my mother's most treasured possessions were/are yard sale buys or things she dug out of the dumpster when we lived in Paris. My mom is probably one of the least ostentatious or "snobby" people I know. (below is a picture of one of my parent's windows outside their home. New, made to look old)

Going to a big box store and purchasing perfectly matched sets is the opposite of what my mom finds lovely or beautiful when it comes to decorating a home. :) The older, the more obscure, the better. She has impeccable taste and I always try to mimic it although I am not as brave when it comes to putting many different styles together and I do have a few matching sets in my home.

I love the picture above of Rozlynn (my little sis) and her husband Thad on their wedding day standing in front of my parent's home in Cache Valley. It is just so typical of my parents, a beautiful European styled home with an old beat up $3500 truck (which she and my dad adore by the way) parked out front!

Here is where Max and Madeline play during the Summer, on the cottage porch. Nothing is new, everything Mimi is playing with was either purchased from the D.I., a yard sale or an antique store. Mom, thank you for opening my eyes to the beauty of eclectic decorating and the obscure.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Brooke this is so funny because I was going to right a post very similar today about how I love things with a story or aged and talk about my beloved consignment shops. I agree with everything you said and hope to aquire mom's gift of seeing beauty in the old and used. Love you big sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke, I love your blog I love you and your family. Nothing is more fun than finding a diamond in the rough. Maybe because that's what I am. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke, I love your blog I love you and your family. Nothing is more fun than finding a diamond in the rough. Maybe because that's what I am. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww...thanks mom and yes you're a diamond!

    ReplyDelete