Chocolate makes everything better

9:38 AM

This is a personal motto of mine.  There is nothing more fun than ending the weekend with a good show and a chocolate dessert on Sunday night.  When I was young (in the 80's) Disney used to show movies on Sunday evening on CBS.  Some of my favorite memories are eating dessert while watching Disney with my family.  I've tried to carry on this tradition to my family.

This is a recipe I've posted on here before, but it is soooo good I need to post it again. It is very simple.  If you have a stove and a pot you can make this.  My mom gave me this recipe and my mom does not pass along bad recipes.  Everything she makes is delicious.

There are no tricky parts, just melt and stir.  Simple (my kind'a recipe).

FIRST: take out a medium-large saucepan (the kind you'd make mac-n-cheese in)
-place on stove and turn on to medium/high heat

-add 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter 
(when baking use real butter, it does make a difference.  But margarine works too)

-1/4 cup warm water

-9 oz of chocolate chips (or 1 bag) 
(I splurge and buy the Hershey's brand semi-sweet chips, instead of generic when making this dessert)

melt together in pan, when melted together...
-add 3 cups mini marshmallows
 stir until marshmallows are completely melted. ps I LOVE this wooden spoon I got for Christmas from one of my favorite people in the whole world and lifelong friend, the one, the only...Allison Frazier. ;)

  She is da'bomb and I'm so grateful to have her as a neighbor and friend.
ok ok back to the recipe.
 this takes a little bit of time but it sure looks pretty and marbled as it starts to melt, and kids love to help at this part because of how cool it looks.
 while you are waiting for the marshmallows to melt...

-add 1 pint or 16 fl oz. of Heavy Whipping Cream (emphasis on heavy) to your mixer
(this is my 12 year old kitchen aid that I got from a wedding shower, it still works like a charm, although it has some some pretty funky food stains on it, that I cannot seem to get off)

 once marshmallows are totally melted take off the stove and set aside to cool 
(I usually put it in the fridge to speed up the process)
 at this point the whipping cream is still getting thick, I'm always amazed how long this takes

As the whipping cream begins to thicken:

-add 1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar 
(go by taste, you want to ere on the side of less sweet)

-once thick add 1 tsp. of vanilla

-add half of the whipping cream to the cooled chocolate mixture  
(It says to "fold" in the whipping cream, but I usually just stir it in with my trusty wooden spoon)
 Once the chocolate mixture and whipping cream are blended, set in fridge to cool or you can serve it right away.  Depends how much longer your family can wait. ;)

Use the other half of the un-used whipping cream to layer with the cooled chocolate mousse.
 Below are the delicious cups of chocolate mousse, layered with whipping cream.  

It really is deliciously deceptive, those who try it will be amazed you made it from scratch and only you will know how easy it was.
ps, try not to be too envious of our 1980's pressed leaf laminate countertops.  You can't find them in stores anymore, so that kind of makes them vintage? a collectors item? You'll just have to come over to my house and admire them if you want some of your own.  Some of us are just "lucky" that way. ;) 

(hahahaha....serious sarcasm here folks)



You Might Also Like

0 comments