My Hero

9:09 AM

No, it's not Oprah. It is LIZ LEMON. I've have been watching seasons 1-3 on Netflix of 30 Rock and decided that if I had one wish it would be to spend a day with Tina Fey.

I told Steve last night that I feel just like her in many ways.

EXAMPLE 1: I often say or write something that I think is pretty clever, witty or funny only to get the courtesy smile or a polite look of "I don't get it" from other people. My favorite is when I write something either through email, fb or blogs that I think is goofy and kinda funny only to get silence and NO response whatsoever. Or my favorite, a one sentence "all business" response avoiding altogether the paragraph I wrote.
EXAMPLE 2: I was every one's "buddy" in High School. I was pretty goofy and care free and loved to just be with people, but never once (NO not even ONCE) was I any one's girlfriend in High School. I didn't wear make-up until I was 19 years old, had really big thick eyebrows until I was 19 when my younger 16 year old sister sat me down and taught me how to pluck them. I also held on to my tummy/baby fat until I was about 22. I always had really skinny legs but my tummy was, well, plump.
Example 3: Tina Fey was a virgin until she was 24, well I was VL (virgin lips) until I was 24...that was after my baby fat melted off, I wore make-up, plucked my eyebrows and learned to embrace my womanly figure (and not hide it under men's large Gap shirts like I did in H.S.)

Example 4: My BFFs were always really pretty girls and always attracted lots of attention from boys, to which I ended up being the boy's "buddy", you know the friend with the "fun personality". And I was very content with that, I didn't even have a desire to date a boy or have a boyfriend until I was 24 (guess that's why I decided to kiss one at that time).

Example 5: I am not refined, I say what I think, I embrace my quirks (yet at the same time try to hide them or at least suppress them when I am in situations where I think I should act like an adult). I think life is weird, I think it's funny when people try too hard to be perfect or proper or act like they've never farted or burped or just been well, human.

Thank you Tina Fey/Liz Lemon. You are my hero.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. AH! I love this! You are so funny and I had no idea that you didn't wear makeup until 19 or kiss a boy until 24... I LOVE IT! You are so awesome. Thanks for posting this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Park City knew me in my "pretty years" after the make-up intervention from my mom and Roz. :) I was pretty darn plain jane all through H.S. unlike you gorgeous Flake girls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way Brooke... you are naturally beautiful! I'm sure you didn't need it. And the boys in college are way better than the ones in high school anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh- I've been going through your blog to see all the stuff I missed while I was in my blogging slump... I LOVE this post! (and the 1976 one too- that was funny.) I always thought I identified with Elaine from Seinfeld until I discovered LIZ LEMON. Even better match!!! I fell in love with Tina Fey after 'Mean Girls', and her Sarah Palin impressions really sealed the deal, but I really feel like I actually could be Liz Lemon in another life- you just explained why more eloquently than I could. The more I learn about you- the more I love you!

    ReplyDelete